Saturday, September 7, 2013

Thoughts on the Convention, and a change of direction

I have decided to take a break from my reviews of this summer’s District Convention.  I listened to several talks since my last post.  What I heard was too simplistic to analyze in detail. I may try again soon, but another idea has grabbed my attention.

I’ve formed an overall impression of the current state of the Watchtower.  The Governing Body built a trap and caught themselves.  Listening to the convention talks, I realized how formulaic they sound: here is a question, here is the answer.  Rather than provide its membership with the tools they need to examine the Bible and express themselves on matters of conscience, the speakers provide endless Talmudic rules on specific issues.

Of course, the Watchtower cannot provide such training, its followers would see the logical flaws and factual errors in the Society’s publications.  For decades, the Governing Body declared itself the final judge of all religious matters.  They must now pass judgment on every matter, nothing remains for individual decision.    

Additionally, I think that Watchtower leadership has, consciously or unconsciously, abandoned the idea of making converts of nonWitnesses.  By this I don’t mean abandoning the door-to-door ministry.  That activity serves a useful purpose in keeping the flock busy and providing a source of self-identification.  The convention program seems aimed entirely at an internal audience.  Talks disparaging education, career involvement and limiting contact with nonWitnesses will not attract any reasonable nonbeliever.  These subjects to reinforce Watchtower culture to the conventions attendees.

As I said, I do not know if this is intentional.  The Watchtower leadership now focuses on controlling its members, while living in its own world.  They do not understand the effects of their words on the public.  Or perhaps they simply don’t care. 
A new 250 acre headquarters compound is under construction in upstate New York.  I will be watching this project with interest. It is bigger than anything the Society needs for administrative purposes.  It looks like it might be a good place to retire. 


I decided last night to reassemble the pieces of another novel I started for last year’s NaNoWriMo.  I’m going to serialize a chapter a week, starting Sunday the fifteenth.  I need to impose some order on my writing efforts and this seems like a good way to get going. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember at my pioneer school the man who took it said that there was more being born into 'the truth' than converts from preaching. It is interesting and maybe the crazy Caleb and other YPA stuff tie into that focus of control.
    x Amie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor children. It's awful for them. It should be illegal.

      Delete